Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Brand New World

What the Hemann's family seemed
like to me once I entered their house.
This past weekend was Easter, in which I had from Thursday to Monday off from school. While most students went off to their own homes, I went home with one of my friends to her house in Illinois and stayed with her family (In order protect their identity from the government I'll call them the Hemann's). Now as we left Wednesday afternoon I had no clue what adventures awaited me in Illinois. I had no idea that I was entering into...a brand new world.



The Hemann house hold is made up of a mom, a dad, and 8 siblings ranging from 20 to 3 years old. Instead of being the youngest at my house, I immediately made the jump to the oldest at their house (of the kids). Now the main difference that I discovered of my family celebrating Easter versus their family is that my family, being all adults, like to enjoy huge family naps in which each person heads to a different part of the house and takes a nap. They do not nap...Ever. They also do not sleep past nine. Each morning the three year old would walk up to my bed, poke my face, and say "Josh wake up" until I got up. She's so adorable, however, that I would rather take her back to school with me than get upset. That is, however, the one aspect of my vacation that would have stayed the same. If I was at home and tried to sleep in, one of my sisters would come into my room and jump on me or my dad would throw the dog at my face.

As I wandered around the Hemann household as balls were being kicked, action figure fairies were being thrown into the air, and screaming kids vied for my attention  there were a few things I learned. That there will never be a shortage of the phrase "MOM!!!" being screamed by a kid, you will constantly hear "He's your son!!!" being yelled from a parent, and wine is like the penicillin of moms with big families, it's the best cure once the children are put to bed.

This weekend taught me something. That parents are like super heroes. Because after the 500th peanut butter sandwhich made, the 500th "Mom, he hit me", or 500th day in a row someone doesn't want to go to bed, it takes a super hero to not just snap and say "Make your own darn sandwhich if you don't like my cooking." So next time you see your mom or dad say, "I appreciate you" right before asking them to make you a sandwhich. Then write a blog about it and maybe they'll buy you a car ;)

-Bearded Harmon

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right."
Ephesians 6:1

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. Tell me more I have a need to tell my mom I love her

    ReplyDelete