Saturday, July 21, 2012

Movie Review-The Dark Knight Rises

HOLY BATMAN, BATMAN!!!
ATTENTION: This review may or may not contain SPOILERS. I'm not sure yet since I have yet to write it. Tread carefully. Who knows what I will say, cause I certainly don't.








At 10:30 P.M. on July19th I arrived at the movie theater with my Batman mask on and fiery joy in my heart. I was about to see the new Batman. However, once the ending credits rolled that joy turned suddenly in to awe and admiration at the brilliance of Christopher Nolan. The final movie in the Batman trilogy contained almost everything that I had hoped for as I waited that hour and thirty minutes in my seat.

The movie starts off exactly eight years after the events of the second film and we find that Batman has retired from crime fighting and that Gotham, oblivious to the truth, praises Harvey Dent for being a hero. We also find Bruce Wayne to have turned into somewhat of a recluse who, even at his own parties, never shows his face. He has become so absent in his companies life that Wayne Interprises has stopped making any profit. It is at this point that you wonder, "How does Bruce get back in the cape to kick butt???" Well the answer is Selina Kyle, otherwise known as Catwoman being played by Anne Hathaway. When I found that she had been chosen as Catwoman I was devestated thinking she would blow the roll. However as the story progressed I found myself enjoying many of her scenes. She adds enough seduction and flexibility that the Catwomen needs to have and making her feel like a real human being. That brings us to our villian, Bane played by Tom Hardy.

Bane was said to have been "born in the depths of a prison". His mask and menacing stature made him Batmans most formidable foe in the comic books as well as this movie. Within an hour of the movie starting Bane and Batman face off in the depths of Gotham City and it does not end well for one of them (I'll give you three guesses to who). That is the last that we will see off Batman until the last thirty minutes of the movie. Hardy plays Bane very well and if it was not for the credits you wouldn't be able to recognize him. Even his voice is changed. It almost sounds like Sean Connery's voice. Each scene that contained Bane almost made you cringe out of fear of him. He is definately not someone you'd want to meet in a dark alley...or anywhere ever.

Altogether the movie was very well done. There were enough explosions and the all-star cast couldn't have been any better. If there is one critique I have it is this, MORE MICHAEL CAINE!!! Because seriously, what movie doesn't need Michael Caine? He was simply not in enough scenes and one of the last scenes he's in almost made me cry.
But seriously, this movie is almost without a doubt winning best movie of the year. This explosive thriller kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time and during the whole movie you will be thinking to yourself, "How in the world will Batman be able to save the day?" and you almost give up hope until he returns in my favorite scene of the movie where he leads the Gotham police force to battle against Bane's army which consisted of two mobs running at each other in a huge brawl, or as the Irish call a regular St. Patrick's day.
Even though this film did not have as many exciting scenes than its predecessor, it still is able to fill the shoes and give audiences a knock-out performance. This is also possibly the best ending to any film franchise ever. Nolan leaves no loose-ends and once the credits start rolling all you will be able to do is talk about it non-stop.

-Bearded Harmony

No comments:

Post a Comment